Friday, October 28, 2016

Thinking about selling the FJ… Thoughts?

I am not sure if I posted this at the time, but I leased my FJ two years ago. I leased it with the intention of buying it at the end of the lease period. I knew I wanted that truck. It was a conscious decision to give myself a lower monthly payment for two years. Knowing I was planning to buy the truck at the end of the lease, I had no hesitation in modifying it. Well, I have just recently finalized the financing work on the truck. This has got me thinking...

As I have posted in the past, I love this truck. It is the best daily driver I have ever owned. However, I have been contemplating selling it lately for a few reasons.


  1. I want to keep modifying it. There are so many things I want to do to this truck. I know I should hold back. It is my daily driver. It is meant to get me to and from work and out and about to do everyday things. I am not supposed to want to modify it like a toy. Right? Not only that, but every time I walk out of my building at work, which is located in a less-than-safe city in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, I find myself wondering if my spare tire (which happens to be mounted to a 18" Volk TE37) is still going to be mounted to the rear door. Not that working in an unsavory neighborhood should affect decisions such as this, but I just do not want to worry about things like this.
  2. I feel like I have neglected the Z because of this project. Yes, I have a bevy of nice Japanese parts piled up and ready to make their way onto the Z, but I could also be much further along if every penny I spent on the FJ went into the Z. That is not to say that I have regrets with the FJ. At all. I love it and I love what I have done to it, but I also have a completely stock Z that is not getting the love it deserves.
  3. When I leased the FJ, I got locked in to a buy-out price of what the truck was worth in 2014. As 2014 was the last year the FJ was produced, the demand for them is high. In short, looking at the book value of this truck with the current mileage, I could make a few dollars selling the FJ.
I am not sure what I should do. The extra money in my pocket would be nice. I could do a few responsible "adult" things with it and then I could put a few dollars aside for a down payment on a new daily that I would not be so tempted to modify. Then, of course, I could devote more of my attention to the Z. I am in no rush at this time, but I am very seriously considering what I should do with this truck. If I had millions of dollars, I know I would not even be considering selling this truck. Unfortunately, I am not a millionaire.

In case you may be interested (or know someone who may be), here are the details of the truck. I would be willing to sell as-is or possibly part it out. It all comes down to offers, money, and what a potential buyer is looking for in an FJ.




2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Mileage: ~28,000 miles

Pro-Comp 3" Lift Kit
18" Volk Racing TE37 Large PCD (5)
34" BF Goodrich T/A KO2
MBRP Cat-Back Exhaust System
Demello Offroad Single Hoop Aluminum Front Bumper
Bushwacker Extend-A-Fender Flares
N-Fab Nerf Bars
Trail Teams Edition Black-Out Grille
Trail Teams Edition Black-Out Door Handles
Schrockworks Washer Reservoir
Baja Designs 3.5" Squadron Sport Lights
Black Anodized Billet Fuel Door
LED Interior Lighting
LED Headlight Bulbs
Hella Sharptone Horns
Springtail Solutions Straddle Combo Packs
Tint


JDMphasis… Innovation over Imitation

No comments:

Post a Comment