Saturday, December 4, 2010

Project G37S: Suspension Upgrades

Coming from a 350Z, one of my first observations upon driving the G37 was a desire for tighter, more responsive handling qualities. After a set of 20" Advan RS-D wheels outfitted with 275/30 and 245/35 Yokohama S.drive XL rubber, my first purchase was a set of Eibach Pro-Kit springs and Stillen sway bars.  Here are a few pictures of the drop the Eibach springs provided:






Although the handling was improved over stock, I was not completely satisfied. I do not track or race this car, but I did not think that was a reason to limit myself, or settle for less than content, in terms of the performance characteristics of my suspension. So, I contacted someone who has not only come to be an extremely helpful and reliable resource in terms of my inquiries into aftermarket parts for the car, but a good friend as well, Brian Hung, over at JT Motoring in Hyde Park, Massachusetts. The advice and opinion offered by Brian stem from his personal experience, as well as his industry insider knowledge and expertise. Not simply out to make a dollar off of me and my project, Brian maintains a genuine and sincere interest in the project and the customer. Thus, he has most certainly secured me as a future customer with him, and with JT Motoring.

I related to Brian my desires and where I thought the current suspension set-up was falling short and disappointing me. He offered me a few opinions. Together, we decided to go with a coilover set-up that we have not seen on too many G's, as well as some frame bracing from GT Spec. We chose some Tein Flex coilovers and decided to utilize their Electronic Damping Force Controller technology, EDFC. We then got our hands on some GT Spec parts, to which I decided to powdercoat wrinkle red. Here are a few pictures of the undercarriage of the G with the braces and coilovers installed:




















The end result, with all suspension work completed, is a drastic/radical improvement over the previous Eibach Pro-Kit set-up. The G sits considerably lower now, and handles worlds better. With tighter handling qualities, body roll has been virtually eliminated, I notice this most when entering or exiting the expressway. I do not feel every bump as much as I did with the spring set-up and the EDFC has proved to be quite a convenient feature. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with this equipment, it allows the driver to control the damping force from inside the cabin. With EDFC, there are 16 levels of adjustability (0 being the 'hardest' setting and 16 being the 'softest'). You control the damping of the front, as well as the damping of the rear. So, hypothetically, one could have the front set to the hardest setting and the rear set to the softest, and vice versa. On top of that, there are three presets. They act much like radio presets, in that one does not have to adjust the control every time the car is started. Just simply push the preset for whatever you're feeling at that moment. And it can be adjusted on the fly, if so desired. Personally, I have one setting for a firm ride, or spirited driving on windy/country roads or something of that nature, one setting for highway driving - softer so I do not feel every bump, and one setting for "daily driving," a nice mix between the two (8 in the front, 10 in the rear is my personal preference).

Here are a couple pictures of the G, displaying the ride height after the coilover install:


  

1 comment:

  1. do you think the edfc will fit on BC racing coil overs?

    ReplyDelete