Tuesday, December 6, 2011

A Big Fat Fake

I occasionally check out the musings and ruminations of the guys over on Ivy League East. In visiting the blog today, I came across a product showcase of a shift knob from a company I believe to be called GRFXP FatBoy Knobs. Upon first glance, it looks quite similar to the knob I am currently using on the G.


Tommy Kaira Hebi Bebi






FatBoy



Like Varrstoen to Volk Racing, AIT to Top Secret, Shine Auto Project to just about every JDM aero company out there, and countless others, here is yet another fly-by-night company looking to make a dollar off of a JDM product that is proven and for which there is high demand.


Yes, I guess it applies to shift knobs now.


There is a certain connotation, or undertone, inherent in the acronym "JDM." I feel confident suggesting that quality, rare, and valuable are among the adjectives that come to mind among the more educated enthusiasts upon hearing its utterance. A distinct respect and value placed on that which is JDM, there is a certain have-to-have mentality surrounding these parts. There is a reason they are in demand. These products are worth the months of waiting. Far more often than not, the quality, craftsmanship, and attention to detail is second-to-none. It is my contention that the novelty and captivation of these JDM parts slowly fades and diminishes when products such as this look-alike shift knob surface. To one interested in the JDM culture but just a bit less savvy than the diehard JDMophile, upon quick glance, the shift knob in the Z pictured above could easily be mistaken for the rare and elusive Hebi Bebi ("Heavy Baby") knob, not a visibly similar copy of it called a "Fat Boy."


The end of the world? Hardly. However, it is certainly another drop in the proverbial bucket of replicas and knock-offs marauding the Japanese tuning culture. The high cost is often the justification for those "enthusiasts" supporting the knock-off and replica companies. Aero and wheels are expensive parts indeed - often setting us back thousands of dollars. But a shift knob? Come on...


Perhaps I am a bit idealistic (or, to some, obtuse), but I truly hope there are enthusiasts out there, young and/or old, who would rather save their money for just a bit longer and endure the arduous wait for its arrival from Japan to buy the rare, authentic Tommy Kaira knob, as opposed to this fake $100 replica.

5 comments:

  1. Definitely an interesting read, makes you wonder where our industry is headed to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a joke! I am 'shocked' that another person with no originality or morals went to the lengths of copying things for the sake of profit. Color me surprised.

    /sarcasm

    ReplyDelete
  3. That first photo IS a TK shift knob! I know because that's my Z and I took that photo myself. Someone just Photoshopped the TK logo out of it. Here's the original...

    http://i899.photobucket.com/albums/ac197/davesorge/2006%20350z/Interior/tk2.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Somehow that does not surprise me. I wouldn't put anything past these companies. Stealing designs, stealing and altering pictures... Par for the course.

      Delete
  4. Hello I am so delighted I located your blog, I really located you by mistake, while I was watching on google for something else, Anyways I am here now and could just like to say thank for a tremendous post and a all round entertaining website. Please do keep up the great work.
    www.fakestdtest.com

    ReplyDelete